The cuisine is one of the dominant elements from Hungarian culture. It has varied, unique and characteristic flavors. Traditional Hungarian dishes are primarily based on meats, seasonal vegetables, fruits, fresh bread, dairy products and cheeses.
Its world famous dishes:
- Goulash (a stew with more gravy or a soup using meat with bones, paprika, caraway, vegetables (typically carrots and parsley root) and potatoes or various tiny dumplings or pasta simmered with the meat.)
- Fisherman’s soup (hot and spicy fish soup with hot paprika)
- Chichen paprika (a stew with a lot of sweet paprika, cream or sour cream)
- Dobos cake (sponge cake layered with chocolate paste and glazed with caramel and nuts)
- Gundel pancake (Gundel crepe, stuffed with walnuts and served in chocolate sauce, often flambéed)
- Somló-style Sponge Cake (by layering chocolate and vanilla sponge cake with vanilla custard, raisins, walnuts, chocolate sauce, rum and a generous topping of whipped cream)